In This Post
The best way to keep your skin soft and smooth is to exfoliate it regularly. However, you don't always need to resort to expensive professional treatments and products – you can achieve equally good results with a homemade sugar & coconut oil body scrub for far less money.
This DIY sugar scrub will gently remove dead cells from your skin's surface and hydrate it simultaneously. In addition, the recipe is quick and easy; the ingredients are readily available and pocket-friendly – plus, you'll have so much fun making it.
How to Make Sugar Scrub With Coconut Oil
Our go-to recipe for sugar scrub is very simple to make. And, yes, you guessed it, the two main ingredients are sugar and coconut oil.
- Sugar is the perfect base for exfoliating scrubs. It's mild enough not to damage your skin but has enough granulation to remove dry, dead skin cells, repair skin texture, and make your skin smooth to the touch. Since it's far gentler than salt-based scrubs, sugar-based scrubs are an ideal solution for dry and sensitive skin types and can be used for the face as well.
- Then, we have coconut oil – the good old, tried-and-tested home remedy for dry skin. Coconut oil nourishes and moisturizes your skin, and it pairs perfectly with sugar. This ingredient offers many skin benefits due to the high content of various fatty acids. Plus, it's a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
If you don't have coconut oil in your home, you can use alternatives, like olive oil, almond oil, or jojoba oil:
- Olive oil is rich in antioxidants (vitamins E and A and polyphenols) and fatty acids. It nourishes the skin and restores its moisture, protects and strengthens the skin's natural barrier;
- One of the most nutritious oils is almond oil that's perfect for any skin type. It's rich in vitamin E, protecting the skin from UV radiation and pollution. It also supports skin cell regeneration and is ideal for repairing damaged skin and healing scars.
- Besides nourishing and moisturizing, jojoba oil also regulates sebum production, making it an ideal home remedy for oily and combination skin, as well as for treating acne.
Sugar Scrub With Coconut Oil Recipe
There's no cooking or stove involved in this recipe. You'll only need a dish for mixing the ingredients, a wooden spoon, and a cute jar with a lid to package and store your yummy sugar scrub in.
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar (you can also use white sugar, but it'll be more abrasive)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 to 6 drops of lavender essential oil (*optional)
- Mix coconut oil and honey until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Coconut oil should be semi-solid to get that creamy texture. If the oil is too runny, put it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden. If it's too hard, on the other hand, you can soften it by putting a jar of coconut oil in a dish with warm water.
- Then add sugar to the mix and stir everything well.
- Finally, add a few drops of essential oil of your choice for aroma (you can use lavender oil, sweet orange oil, peppermint oil, or any other oil you want). However, if you have acne or sensitive skin, it would be best not to use any kind of essential oil as these can be irritating.
- Pack the final product into a jar you previously prepared.
- Keep the scrub in an airtight container at room temperature for no longer than two months.
- You can also keep it ticked away in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life to up to six months.
To reap all the benefits of your DIY sugar scrub, use it once a week or bi-weekly. You can also use this scrub on your face, but not if you have oily skin prone to acne because coconut oil can be comedogenic and clog your pores.
How to Use Your Homemade Sugar Scrub
Using your homemade sugar scrub after showering while your skin is still wet would be best. First, apply a small amount of the scrub to damp skin and gently rub it using circular motions. After you finish the peeling, rinse the scrub off thoroughly with lukewarm water and apply your body lotion or nourishing body oil.
Remember that coconut oil will solidify when cooled. So, if you want to use your homemade sugar scrub, take it out of the fridge one hour or so before to make it softer and easier to use. You don't need to wait for it to become too soft, as it will soften and melt when in contact with your skin.
It's also important to keep in mind that you shouldn't use your DIY sugar scrub every day. Over-exfoliation can irritate your skin and damage its natural moisture barrier, leading to acne, rough, dry, and dehydrated skin that's easily sensitized.
Therefore, it would be best to use it once a week. If your skin is already sensitive, use it once or twice a month. And finally, if you have body acne, eczema, or any other inflammatory skin condition, you shouldn't use body scrubs at all.
If you have any other skin problems and are unsure if you should use a body scrub, it's best to consult a dermatologist.
Benefits of a DIY Sugar Scrub With Coconut Oil
Regular exfoliation with body scrubs can help you improve the health and appearance of your skin in several ways. Body scrubs remove the layer of dead skin cells from your skin's surface, making it smoother and brighter. Scrubbing also affects collagen production, which can help your skin stay firm, tight, and bouncy.
In addition, sugar in your body scrub will also gently massage the skin, improving circulation and blood flow to the skin surface, making it youthful and dewy. Plus, both white and brown sugar are natural sources of glycolic acid, giving you an additional exfoliating effect and hydrating the skin.
Another perk of sugar body scrubs is the better absorption and effectiveness of skincare products you apply post-exfoliation. With the dead skin layer removed from the top of your skin, your body lotion or moisturizer will penetrate deeper into the skin.
If you like sweets and make desserts often, we're confident you already have all the ingredients you need for making this DIY sugar scrub with coconut oil. However, if you only have sugar, don't fret! You can mix it with any other oil you have at hand and make a small batch of body sugar scrub. Try it, and you'll see the benefits almost immediately – your skin will feel softer, smoother, and well-hydrated.