In This Post
We all know that hair loss can happen to many people, both men and women, and for many reasons. It could be hormones, aging, a medical condition, or genes that cause your hair to fall out. Luckily there are some powerful natural remedies out there to try before spending thousands of dollars on expensive hair loss treatments.
One of these remedies is pumpkin seed oil which can bring your hair back to life. This oil can encourage hair growth, and even treat scalp inflammation which is sometimes the root cause of hair shedding.
In today's article, we'll go over all the amazing benefits of pumpkin seed oil for hair and explain step-by-step how to use it for best results.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair
When you think of an excellent hair loss remedy, the first things that come to mind might be expensive shampoos, hair masks, medication, or even hair transplant. However, believe it or not, the miraculous oil derived from pumpkin seeds can be the solution you've been looking for – or at least something worth trying before committing to more serious medical procedures.
Experts in the field have researched and proven that the nutrients in pumpkin seed oil are great for the hair and the scalp. The research points to three main benefits you can get from using pumpkin seed oil on hair:
Preventing Hair Loss
Even though men tend to be more susceptible to hair loss, anyone can deal with it at some point. In hopes of finding a natural remedy, researchers have tried using pumpkin seed oil to reverse the androgen effect that leads to hair loss. Androgens, especially DHT or dihydrotestosterone, are male sex hormones and are usually the main culprits for hair loss and baldness. Both men and women typically have them, but the problem arises if their levels get excessively high.
Research shows that the high amount of vitamin E and omega fatty acids in pumpkin seed oil could have an anti-androgen effect [source]. The oil blocks DHT and, therefore, prevents hair loss caused by this hormone.
Encouraging Hair Growth
Pumpkin seeds contain large amounts of vitamins, amino acids, and zinc. These nutrients, primarily amino acids, help encourage hair growth when applied to the scalp because they promote keratin production. Keratin is the main structural protein in our hair and nails.
This means that the nutrients will encourage new hair growth as well as strengthen the existing hair. The first results could be visible after three weeks of topical application of pumpkin seed oil to your scalp [source].
Soothing Scalp Inflammation
Scalp inflammation can often lead to itchiness, dryness, and even hair loss. This can all be treated with pumpkin seed oil because the oil contains linoleic and oleic acids, which are known as two of the best lubricating acids. Together with the vitamin B in the pumpkin seed oil, these acids show anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the scalp and even help with blood circulation [source].
How to Use Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair Growth
Now that you know all its benefits, you might be wondering how to use pumpkin seed oil for hair growth. Even if you are not dealing with hair thinning or hair loss, it could be a good idea to use such nutrient-rich oil on your hair as a preventative measure.
After much thought and research, we have found three ways in which you can use pumpkin seed oil for your hair. These methods are all super simple and don't require a significant investment, so we encourage you to try them all out and decide which one you think is best for you.
Add Pumpkin Seed Oil to Your Shampoo
When washing your hair, you can always use pumpkin seed oil with your shampoo. You'll get all the benefits without wasting any precious time. If you want to try this method out, here's how:
- Step 1: Find a gentle shampoo that won't irritate your scalp; you can even use baby shampoo.
- Step 2: Add two to three full tablespoons of the oil to your shampoo. If the shampoo bottle is smaller, add one tablespoon; if it's bigger, you can add three or four. Just be mindful not to add too much oil, as it can leave your hair a greasy mess.
- Step 3: Always shake the bottle before use to mix the shampoo and the oil well.
- Step 4: Get in the shower and dampen your hair with lukewarm water. Then apply a handful of the shampoo and oil mixture. Massage it well into the scalp while making sure you get it all over your hair. After that, leave the mixture on for 5 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Step 5: Rinse your hair well before getting out of the shower.
- Step 6: Air dry it afterward if possible. Heat damage can also lead to hair loss, so you should be mindful of how often you style your hair with heat.
This could be a convenient, cost-efficient, and quick way of including pumpkin seed oil into your hair care routine. It doesn't require anything more than washing your hair every few days – something you would do anyway. Try to wash your hair with this mixture no more than three times a week.
Apply Pumpkin Seed Oil to Your Scalp
If your hair tends to get greasy quickly and you're worried that mixing the oil with a shampoo might worsen the problem, you can always apply the oil directly to your scalp and wash it out the next day. This is another convenient method you can try whenever you have a bit more time on your hands. Here's one way to do it:
- Step 1: Mix some pumpkin seed oil with whatever essential oil you like best. You will need a bowl to mix two tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil and one teaspoon of essential oil. We recommend going with rosemary oil, which is also beneficial for preventing hair loss and is known for its anti-dandruff properties.
- Step 2: After you mix the pumpkin seed oil and the essential oil, you should apply the mixture to your scalp. Go little by little and massage the mixture into the scalp. Cover your entire scalp with the oil.
- Step 3: Leave the mixture on overnight. Wear a soft hair bonnet to prevent the oils from spreading all over your pillow and face. If the bonnet doesn't feel comfortable, you can always put a towel over your pillow to protect it.
- Step 4: You'll need to thoroughly shampoo and wash your hair in the morning.
- Step 5: If you're using a hair conditioner, avoid applying it to your scalp. It can make your scalp greasy and clog the hair follicles, resulting in more hair shedding.
You can try this method once a week or at least a few times throughout the month for the best results. After a while of regular use, there will be less fallout and your hair will be healthier.
Consider Oral Supplements
Getting pumpkin seed oil oral supplements is another alternative you can consider. There are gel capsules with pumpkin seed oil you can use a few times a day. The dosage per day or week will depend on the specific type of capsules you want to take as well as their size.
However, consult your doctor before using any dietary supplements. Once you get approval from your doctor, you can start using them following your doctor's instructions.
It should take about three weeks before you start seeing any results. You can try using one of the other methods in addition for more noticeable results within a shorter time frame.
Pumpkin seed oil is full of nutrients that could help not only with hair growth but also with better skin and better overall health. You should consider using it as a preventative measure for hair loss, while you can also use it if you just want to stimulate hair growth. Either way, you're bound to get a ton of benefits from it!
Does pumpkin seed oil help hair growth?
Research suggests that antioxidants and fatty acids in pumpkin seed oil can help with hair growth and prevent hair loss. You can apply the oil to your scalp, leave it on overnight, and wash it the next day. After several weeks, you should already be able to see results.
How long does it take for pumpkin seed oil to grow hair?
One study showed that topical application of pumpkin seed oil six days a week for three weeks significantly increased hair growth.
Does pumpkin seed oil help female hair loss?
Yes, pumpkin seed oil is a helpful natural remedy for preventing hair loss in both men and women. It contains various nutrients that promote hair growth and prevent androgenic alopecia.
Does pumpkin seed oil stop DHT?
Yes, pumpkin seed oil blocks dihydrotestosterone or DHT, an androgen hormone that is the main cause of hair loss in both men and women.
Can you leave pumpkin seed oil in hair overnight?
Yes, it's even recommended. You can gently massage pumpkin seed oil into your scalp and leave it overnight. Wash your hair and scalp thoroughly the next morning.